Skip to main content

Level 12 = Miscellaneous Grammar Points _ Subjunctive Mood

 

A mood shows the writer's attitude toward what he or she is saying. "Subjunctive mood" expresses a doubtful condition (contrary to fact) and is sometimes used with the "if" clause. It can express wishes, doubts, suggestions, conditions, possibilities, etc. A verb in the subjunctive mood may have a different form.

Subjunctive Mood - Common verbs

The following verbs often attract the subjunctive mood: ask, doubt, recommend, suggest, wish, insist, order, commend, request, and demand.


·   I suggest that you hire a lawyer.

·   I doubt we will see her at the party.


Subjunctive Mood - Verb form using "Were"

Also in subjunctive mood sentences, the "be" verb in past tense "were" is used instead of "was" even with "I", "he", "she", or "it". It is grammatically incorrect to use "was" in these sentences

Incorrect: If I was you, I would take any offer.
Correct: If I were you, I would take any offer.

Incorrect: I wish I was able to speak English fluently.
Correct: I wish I were able to speak English fluently.

Subjunctive Mood - Other verb forms

The subjunctive for the present tense third-person singular drops the "-s" or "-es" so that it looks and sounds like the present tense for everything else.

Incorrect: Our suggestion is that everyone on the team does the survey.
Correct: Our suggestion is that everyone on the team do the survey.

Incorrect: She recommended that each student takes a note.
Correct: She recommended that each student take a note.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level 12 = Conditionals _ Mixed Conditionals

  Mixed Conditional Sometimes conditional sentences can be a combination of two clauses each referring to different times. These are called mixed conditionals. The "if" clause is not the same time as the result clause. Mixed Conditionals - Present Unreal and Past Unreal If + simple past clause Would have + verb   Examples: ·          If I  were prepared , I  would have given  the presentation. ·          If I  understood  Spanish, I  would have watched  the movie without subtitles. ·          If I  read  the book, I  would have participated in the discussion. Mixed Conditionals - Present Unreal and Future Unreal If + simple past clause Would + verb Would have + verb (hypothetical result) If + simple past clause ...

Level 12 = Miscellaneous Grammar Points _ Restrictive and Nonrestrictive Clause

  Restrictive Clauses A restrictive clause functions like an adjective. It is used to further identify the noun it is modifying. It provides additional information for the noun it is describing. Without a restrictive clause, the sentence will appear to be missing important information. Commas are not necessary when using a restrictive clause. ·    The boy  who broke the vase  was very apologetic. ·    The dog  that ate my garden vegetables lives next door. ·    The bike  that I won at the raffle  got a flat tire. ·    I am going to the movies with the boy  who is in my math class . ·    The essay  which you worked on yesterday was accidentally deleted. Nonrestrictive Clauses A nonrestrictive clause functions like an adjective. It is used to further identify the noun it is modifying. It provides additional information for the noun it is describing. However, it is not necessary fo...

Level 4 = (Prepositions) On, At, In

  Prepositions _ On, At, In Prepositions are words that link a noun, pronoun, or noun phrase to some other part of the sentence. Prepositions can be tricky for English learners. There is no definite rule or formula for choosing a preposition. Preposition - On Example Sentences How to use the preposition ·    The keys were  on the table. ·    The paper is  on  my desk. Used to express a surface of something ·    Her birthday is  on  July 19. ·    The paper is  on  my desk. Used to specify days and dates ·    He is  on the phone right now. ·    The paper is  on  my desk. Used to indicate a device or machine, such as a phone or computer ·    He kissed her  on  the forehead. ·    The paper is  on...